Futures Forum: Demolishing the home of several species of rare bats - with the promise of providing a new building 'designed to provide conditions more suitable for breeding bats'
Last month, an application to do just this was considered:
Futures Forum: East Budleigh to consider application to demolish habitat of 11 species of bat > Tuesday 6th November
Local Councillors are not happy, as reported recently in the Herald:
Parish council has ‘stronger reservations’ about housing plans for East Budleigh bat habitat
East Budleigh praish leaders raise concerns over housing development | Latest Exmouth News - Exmouth Journal
Here are the minutes of that meeting:
Minutes of the East Budleigh with Bicton Parish Council
Extra Planning Meeting Tuesday, 6 November 2018
1. PLANNING APPLICATIONS –
1. PLANNING APPLICATIONS –
The Pound, Lower Budleigh, EB
Demolition of existing barn and construction of a single dwelling.
The Council reviewed extra information relating to the above Application, specifically:-
* The Consultation Response to EDDC by Encompass Ecology Ltd dated 18th October 2018
* The Second Report by Richard Green Ecology (October 2018 v 1.1)
* The Letter of Representation from the East Budleigh Parish Wildlife Protection and Conservation Group (EBPWPCG) dated 17th September 2018.
The Council’s views can be summarised as follows:-
The Issue of Bats
1. Councillors agreed with Encompass Ecology and Richard Green Ecology that the bat barn must be built before the destruction of the existing barn. In this regard the Council believed
(a) it is important that a Schedule of Works be submitted to the EDDC to explain how the perceived difficulties with this work could be overcome and
(b) it will be essential to allow a suitable period – 1 year was suggested by some parishioners - between the construction of the new barn and the destruction of the existing barn to allow migration of bats from the existing roost to the new barn.
2. Councillors agreed with Encompass Ecology that
(a) lighting may be an issue,
(b) that no lighting should be positioned on the bat barn and
(c) that the light spill on the barn should be quantified and should be no more than 0.5 – 1.0 lux as measured at the new bat barn and “flight corridor” of the bats on a moonless night. The Council were of the opinion that a lighting lux plan, as proposed by Encompass Ecology, should be made public.
3. Councillors noted that the Report from Richard Green Ecology acknowledges that rare bats roost in the existing barn. (Details are given in the EBPWPCG Letter). Also Councillors noted that Natural England has yet to issue a licence for this development. Councillors believed that, prior to the grant of a licence, Natural England should conduct a survey of the species of bat present in the existing barn given to the rarity of some species. Councillors agreed with Encompass Ecology that it is regrettable that such a survey is not available.
4. Councillors noted that EDDC will be mindful of the Habitats Directive Article 12.1 and Conservation and Habitat and Species Regulation 2010 (as amended) when considering this Application. Other Issues The Driveway Councillors concluded that the proposed driveway would replace an existing driveway and hence would not create an issue, provided appropriate care was taken not to disturb the roots of the adjacent trees.
Councillors were appraised that scrub had already been cleared from around the site which may have disturbed dormice in the vicinity.
Conclusion and Recommendation
Councillors present at this Planning Meeting understood that they did not have the authority to change the Parish Council’s previous decision (i.e. no objection) on this Application. However an informal show of hands at the Planning Meeting showed that the majority of Councillors objected to the Application, in part because of the new information received. The clerk will contact EDDC to verify the position regarding a change of Minuted decisions within the 6 month regulation period.
EAST BUDLEIGH with BICTON PARISH COUNCIL
And here's the application waiting at the District Council for a final decision - together with comments:
18/1464/FUL | Demolition of existing barn and construction of a single dwelling | The Pound Lower Budleigh East Budleigh