Futures Forum: Plans for Port Royal: anticipating a Regeneration Board >>> Town Council approve project brief for ‘Scoping Report for the eastern end of Sidmouth’ >>>
Now the District Council have done the same - and have nominated the Councillors who will sit on the Reference Group.
The Herald has the story:
Scoping study given green light by district
A scoping exercise on the redevelopment of Port Royal is one step closer to becoming reality after being given the go-ahead by East Devon District Council (EDDC).
Scoping study given green light by district - Home - Sidmouth Herald
And here are the minutes from the Cabinet meeting:
EAST DEVON DISTRICT COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting of Cabinet
held at Knowle, Sidmouth on 14 September 2016
47 Port Royal, Sidmouth
The Deputy Chief Executive updated members on the progress of discussions with Sidmouth Town Council concerning the Port Royal redevelopment opportunity. Approval was sought for key documents relating to the joint work and next steps in taking the project forward through a Scoping Study. This would involve key information gathering, public and stakeholder consultation events and proposals for the further stages of design, planning and development. Sidmouth Town Council had taken a similar report to its Council meeting on 5 September 2016.
Discussions included the following:
> the need to identify risks
> the use of the ongoing Neighbourhood Plan for Sidmouth as a way of getting feedback from residents
> the need for Port Royal to be included in the questionnaire relating to the Neighbourhood Plan
> was the public consultation a means of gathering opinion?
> the importance of gathering opinion from the students at Sidmouth Community College – the Town’s future residents
> Sidmouth was more than just the town centre, Sidford and Sidbury were both part of the town
1. that the Terms of Reference for the joint working approach between the Council and Sidmouth Town Council as at appendix 1 be approved
2. that Cabinet recommend to Council the appointment of two Sidmouth District Council Ward Members; Councillor David Barratt and Councillor John Dyson as representatives of the Project Reference Group
3. that the Project Brief for the Scoping Exercise as included at appendix 2 be approved
These recommendations are in line with those included in a similar report being taken to Sidmouth Town Council.
REASON: To enable progress to be made with the commencement of the joint working between the Council and Sidmouth Town Council on this important project for Sidmouth.
Interestingly, reference had been made earlier in the meeting to the regeneration of the seafront at Exmouth:
45 Minutes of the Scrutiny Committee held on 7 July 2016
– Scoping specific examples of public engagement and consultation identified by the committee
1. that consideration be given to refreshing the Exmouth Masterplan, with a view to a proposal for that work being put before them in the autumn of 2016;
2. that consideration be given, for the purposes of greater transparency, to the Exmouth Regeneration Board being constituted in a similar format to the current Asset Management Forum, whereby the Board meetings are held in public with a private session for dealing with confidential/commercially sensitive information as required; and that new Regeneration Boards be constituted in the same format;
3. that consideration be given to the issue of press statements on the meetings of the Exmouth Regeneration Board for circulation to appropriate bodies such as Exmouth Town Council;
4. that consideration be given to the creation of a consultation policy to replace the existing guide;
5. that planned service and/or fees and charges changes must include relevant Ward members and town and parish councils at the earliest opportunity.
EAST DEVON DISTRICT COUNCIL - Minutes of the meeting of Cabinet held at Knowle, Sidmouth on 14 September 2016