£1.8m health centre for Sid Valley ‘will open in 2015’ - News - Sidmouth Herald
Futures Forum: Health plans for Sidmouth: Stowford Lodge Health Centre - Blackmore Health Centre - new surgery pharmacy
there has been further feedback sent to the Futures Forum.
Here is the latest, but do forward more views:
Replacing the old Stowford Lodge:
There are fears that, in the context of concerns about provision for sufferers of dementia, the existing facility at Stowford Lodge was in fact meant for such a service.
The proposed Health Centre at Stowford Lodge:
There are fears that:
- this new practice will render the surgery at the centre of Sidford redundant;
- local residents and Waitrose workers will use the car park.
There is the perception that:
- pedestrian and cycle access from Core Hill and Woolbrook Road is poor;
- the priority is to minimise cost, whereas ‘a bit of creativity’ could make use of the natural light and environment of Sidmouth.
There have been objections to the design:
- ‘1960s ugliness’;
- the new GP surgery in Lyme Regis offers an alternative, modern design;
- it could be re-orientated for solar gain and better southern views;
- any changes to the design on paper at this stage are far cheaper than later modifications; alterations to drawings will not affect planning decisions or require a further application.
The proposed independent pharmacy at Stowford Lodge:
- it would reduce the need to drive to a pharmacy;
- the current pharmacy at Sidford could become part of the proposed pharmacy, or its staff could be employed there.
- the pharmacy would threaten Sidford High Street with the possible closure of Lloyds;
- the design of the proposed pharmacy is not attractive;
- it is not clear where the income generated from the proposed pharmacy would go;
The licencing board which turned down the application needs to be asked why it did so.
The Patients Participation Panel:
This needs to have more representation from across the community who would help hold the health system to account.
See also: Futures Forum: Stowford Lodge Health Centre: the views