... A FORUM TO STIMULATE DEBATE ... ... JUST ADD A COMMENT AT ANY ENTRY BELOW... ... FOR THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF TOWN AND VALLEY ...

Thursday 16 May 2019

Sidmouth Plastic Warriors > beach clean at the Sea Fest Saturday 18th May > and taking things to the next level

Last month saw a very successful session on the beach:
Futures Forum: Sidmouth Plastic Warriors > Surfers Against Sewage's Spring Clean - Summit To Sea campaign: Saturday 6th April

Which was part of a national effort:
Futures Forum: The Big Spring Beach Clean > a record-smashing 45,771 people showed up

The Plastic Warriors will be at the Sea Fest this Saturday: 



Sidmouth Plastic Warriors Public Group | Facebook

With a further message from the chair of the Warriors: 

Beach clean and an update...

Dear fellow Plastic Warriors

This Saturday is the annual Sea Fest extravaganza on the Ham (and later on throughout town) and we will be right in the middle of it with a beach clean at 10am until 12. Please come along and join in, or if you can’t please share the attached flyer far and wide. As usual equipment is provided but do bring your own if you have it.

We have been given a load of litter pickers from EDDC for our Adopt A Spot scheme ( http://sidmouthplasticwarriors.org/adopt-a-spot/ ). If you are already an 'adopter', please let me know if you want one of the pickers, and if you want to sign up to be one then email me on info@sidmouthplasticwarriors.org and let me know where you are adopting, and again if you want a litter picker. I am compiling a list and then will get them all out to those who need them asap.

Lastly, what a busy few weeks it has been! Thank you to anyone who voted for me in the elections that resulted in me now being an East Devon District Councillor and Sidmouth Town Councillor! I felt the time was right for change and was proved right. We had our first informal town council meeting last night, to meet each other and get up to speed with how everything works, and it really feels like we can make some positive changes around the town – with a green agenda at the heart of it (if I have anything to do with it!) However, this has raised a bit of an issue… I want to grab this opportunity with both hands to make sure the environmental issues we all care about are really heard, in order to reflect in policy how we all feel. I hope that I can make a huge difference but I have to pour all my energy into it for a bit while I deal with the enormously steep learning curve I face.

This means I will be very busy. And I don't want to step down in any way from the warriors but I NEED HELP. This doesn't come easy to me as I am a natural control freak but was wondering how to delegate some areas. I know that a lot of you, if not all, are busy too of course but I think it may be time to get a proper committee system going, with groups for beach cleans, fund raising, plastic free status maybe, with someone in charge of each one and getting various people on each sub committee... and so I am hoping that some people will come forward who can give us some time and experience to take the Warriors to the next level. We could do with a meeting to take this further so please email info@sidmouth-plasticwarriors.org if you are able to potentially join in. It seems like a good time to do this anyway, as the ‘Plastic Free Sidmouth’ bit seems to have stalled (mainly due to me just not having time!) so we can push that forward and start to make inroads again. Don't worry if you think you're going to get loads put on you that you don’t have time for - I've managed fine up to now just doing these things myself but if we can push for more, grow, make it more a team effort, I think we will see a huge benefit.

Oh and I still want to be on the beach clean committee! :-)

Thanks all and see you Saturday at 10ish I hope

Denise

--
Denise Bickley (Now Cllr Bickley!)
Sidmouth Plastic Warriors
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/181478989253793/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SidPlasticWar
Website: http://sidmouthplasticwarriors.org/


.
.
.

No comments: