Sustainable Ottery are showcasing important issues and practical solutions in October:
Sustainable Ottery: Save Energy, Save Money, Live Sustainably.
Involving local people in the response to climate change
and shrinking supplies of cheap energy.
SUSTAINABLE OTTERY’S ENVIRONMENT WEEK 5TH-12TH OCTOBER
We have been working very hard, in conjunction with friends at Ottery St Mary Parish Church, to prepare for what we hope is our best ever Environmental Exhibition. Best ever? Well for a start it’s now going to be a week’s worth of activities and will culminate with the exhibition which will include some great speakers. The full programme is as follows-
Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th October Open Homes Weekend
A number of homes in Ottery that have made energy saving improvements and/or have installed renewable energy technologies, will be opening their doors to share their secrets. The participating homes & businesses are-
· Lamb & Flag: Extensive lighting & insulation measures (Sat 10-6)
· 8 Shutes Mead: Solar PV, wood burning stove, energy monitoring & efficiency measures plus a local wood-burning stove installer will be on hand to answer questions (Sat 10-12)
· Keppel Gate, Higher Ridgeway: Ground source heat-pump, Solar PV & Thermal plus views of new ‘eco-house’ under construction. (Sat 11.30-12.30). Lots of innovative ideas from this local builder and resident.
· Penbryn, 35 Oak Close: Solar PV & Thermal plus local renewables installer giving advice on solar & heat-pump systems. (Sat 2-5 pm). There will also be a van equipped with solar panels that can boil a kettle of water for the teas that will accompany the refreshments that will be available!.
· The Laurels, Mill Lane, Alfington: Wood burner, vegetable-oil powered car, Solar thermal & PV, how a P.V. solar immersion switch will change your life, how to plumb your home to accept stand alone heat sources and maybe even a micro-hydro scheme. (Sun 2-4 pm, plus inspiring talk at 3 p.m.). The home owner was once termed “
Devon’s Mr. Green” by BBC Spotlight and he has some great
ideas for saving energy and money – not to be missed. See the link for the
incredible work done on his previous home –
There is a good range of technologies to be seen throughout the weekend so please come along and be inspired for your own home. Directions to each home are given at the end of the Newsletter and can also be found on our website www.sustainableottery.co.uk
Also during the week there will be ………
School cooking workshops
Local chefs Tim Maddams (River Cottage & Green Sauce) & Robin Rae (Rusty Pig & Hall & Harty) will be engaging pupils from Ottery Primary and Kings schools in hands-on workshops.
Visit to Bicton Earth (Thursday 10th 6-7pm)
A chance to see a range of renewable technologies in action and to ask questions. Places are limited so you will need to book please. Either telephone 01404 811067 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org For more details on what Bicton Earth has to offer then please visit their website - http://www.bictonearth.co.uk/
To close Ottery Environment week there will be a series of stalls, talks, demonstrations & activities in
Ottery St Mary Parish
Environment Day (Sat 12th, 10 - 4 pm)
Talks & presentations:
· Gill Martin, a Lead Scientist, Met Office (11.00am)
The latest on climate change (www.metoffice.gov.uk)
· Cathy Debenham (11.30am)
Financial incentives for energy efficiency measures and renewable energy. (www.yougen.co.uk)
· Henry Gent: (1.30pm)
Pressures on modern day farmers
· Kevin Cotter (2.00pm)
A story of food.
Plus a keynote address at 3 pm by a mystery guest speaker who you will want to listen to!
Activities & stalls at the church:
· Local community groups running fun activities on the day.
· Renewable technology installers & advisers.
· Stalls with lots of ideas to help you save energy, water and resources.
· Local producers and growers offering demonstrations & tasting.
· Recycle your old mobile phones, aluminium drink cans & empty (original) ink cartridges to help our local Scouts’ fundraising.
· Bring along any DIY and garden tools, sewing machines, spectacles and hearing aids for distribution to various charities.
· Refreshments, inc. ploughman’s lunches, will be available in the church.
· Plus a Raffle with great prizes.
If you would like to have a stall then please let us know asap – e-mail email@example.com
Can you help?
There will be lots to do to ensure that the day is a success, so could you spare some time please to help set-up inside the church early on Friday evening , on Saturday morning from 8 a.m. to help set-up outside or after 4 pm on Saturday to help clear away. If you are unable to help with these jobs could you help sell raffle tickets on the day or make some cakes to sell on the refreshment stall? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Or tel. 811067 with any offers please. Thanks.
We are very grateful for the financial help that we have received from the following bodies to stage the week’s events –
SEACS (Sustainable Energy Across the Common Space)
Gilbert Stephens Solicitors
Recycling in Ottery
Ottery St Mary Town Council.
Look out for our eye-catching posters and publicity cards in the local shops to remind you of what’s happening. Please come along and support all the events that are taking place. Come and be inspired and take away an idea to help you reduce your food-miles, reduce waste, save energy and save money. It’s never been so important.