... A FORUM TO STIMULATE DEBATE ... ... JUST ADD A COMMENT AT ANY ENTRY BELOW... ... FOR THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF TOWN AND VALLEY ...

Friday 30 June 2017

Plans for Port Royal: anticipating a Regeneration Board >> Scoping Study consultation > 'calling a spade a bloody shovel'

Concerns are mounting about the current plans for Port Royal:
Futures Forum: Plans for Port Royal: anticipating a Regeneration Board >> Scoping Study consultation > 'this is not what we expected'
Futures Forum: Plans for Port Royal: anticipating a Regeneration Board >> Scoping Study consultation >> "This does not make a good start to what is supposed to be a public consultation."
Futures Forum: Plans for Port Royal: anticipating a Regeneration Board >> "BIG seafront development plans ... lots of income for land-holding EDDC and big income potential"

Here is the opening of a comprehensive analysis from the Sidmouth Drill Hall Rescue campaign: 
Click on the link for more:

Port Royal regeneration consultation

As a northern lass who is accustomed to ‘calling a spade a bloody shovel’ I was left frustrated by what I saw and what I was told during the two days of this consultation...


Port Royal regeneration consultation - Sidmouth Drill Hall Rescue

With a quick overview here in letter form:



Dear Friends,
Just a quick note to let you know I have got the web page up and it can be found here

It is a complex subject but I have tried to make it as clear as possible. For those of you who want a quick overview I have three sections at the top, followed by a link to the page with the illustrations on.

For those who really want to get their heads round it as much as possible I have further information below that, if you can bear to read it :-)

What I don't mention, except in passing, is my concern as to how this will affect Folk Week and thus the economy of the town. Having started off coming here as a Folkie in 1975 I am well aware of what makes the town so attractive to the festival. I don't think that it would be easy to fit the Ham marquee on the area of grass which will remain. We are certainly losing out on the opportunity to provide space for the festival to expand.

Although I am a designer by trade I am by no means an artist, even my graphics skill leave a lot to be desired. So I apologise for the poor quality of the images I present. I have done my best to get the scale right and if I have erred then it reflects badly on the Councils who couldn't be bothered to give us full information so that I didn't need to try to do this.

I have received an email from Mike Osborne, author of the book about Drill Halls in the UK, saying he has filled in the EDDC survey ... stressing how important it was that these buildings are not lost but re-used.

On the subject of the survey, it has been pointed out to me that this survey is being run entirely in house by EDDC. I knew this because it says so on the survey page, but I hadn't considered the fact that that means the results will only be released at EDDC's whim. Perhaps now is the time for us to consider running a parallel survey or a petition? Let me know your thoughts.

I have also heard from Paul Turner of Turner Architects who won the Re-imagining Port Royal competition last year. If I remember correctly the competition required that the proposed development was realistic, ie funding from outside Sidmouth could be identified. Perhaps Paul will give me an article I can put online?

To the many of you who wrote with encouraging words, thank you. I have had no time to reply yet but I promise I will do.

kind regards, Mary



Port Royal Consultation, response webpage
Rescue Sidmouth Drill Hall - Sidmouth Drill Hall Rescue
.
.
.

No comments: