... A FORUM TO STIMULATE DEBATE ... ... JUST ADD A COMMENT AT ANY ENTRY BELOW... ... FOR THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF TOWN AND VALLEY ...

Friday 14 December 2018

How to have a plastic-reduced Christmas

This time last year, there was a lot of talk about a 'plastic-free Christmas':
Futures Forum: How to enjoy a plastic-free Christmas

And the idea really has gained some currency:
How to have a plastic-free Christmas that won't cost the earth - Telegraph

There are some lovely ideas here:
A Green and Rosie Life

And here too:

My Plastic-free (well reduced, anyway) Christmas

A month ago, I asked Zero Waste Week participants WHY they were taking part in the week.

Answers ranged from wanting to protect resources for future generations to not wanting to harm wildlife to saving money.

And this answer from Helene made me curious!

She wrote: “I’m subscribing to Zero Waste to save resources, cut carbon emissions and reduce plastic pollution. I know it’s early, but I’m also trying to plan a plastic-free Christmas.”

I know many subscribers love the idea of a zero waste Christmas, so I invited Helene to share her ideas. She does point out that “I’m retired so have plenty of time to make food, presents and decorations, but I recognise that other people are not so fortunate, so would recommend Christmas markets or farmers’ markets to buy alternatives to plastic.”

Here’s what else Helene had to say:


Food.

Christmas pudding – a dilemma! Whether to buy one in a plastic basin and wrapping, or spend up to 8 hours steaming a home-made one when the dried fruit and sugar came in plastic packets. (No, I’m not giving it up!). The topping’s OK, though. Brandy butter, or tinned cream.

Christmas Cake. A bit the same, but with no basin. I do make my own, though. Glace cherries always come in a plastic tub, and marzipan comes wrapped in plastic foil.

Mince pies. Easy. I make my own. They’re quick and easy (and cheap) with no plastic packaging.

Christmas dinner. We’re both veggie, so the meat’s not a problem, but if I were buying it I’d go to a proper butcher to avoid that horrid polystyrene tray. I buy my fruit and veg. loose at the local market, and they’re happy to let me use my own bags. This goes for nuts, too.

Cheese is brilliant at Christmas. There is so much more available in wax coating, and not in cling-film (a bug-bear of mine!)

Advent calendars, cards, wrapping and crackers.

Chocolate Advent calendars invariably have the chocolate in plastic bubble packs. I usually send animated e-Advent calendars, but this year I may make or buy fabric ones (Christmas markets are great for things like this) and fill them with little treats each year.

Cards don’t use much plastic, but they’re heavy on other resources, so I only send one or two conventional ones to elderly relatives. The rest are animated e-cards. One special friend and I swap the same cards each year!

Wrapping. So much wrapping paper has a plasticised finish. I use brown paper tied up with green garden string. I make my own labels from old cards, and embellish the parcel with a couple of ivy leaves. This year I’m also making gift bags from old magazines, maps, etc.

I don’t use crackers, but if I did I would invest in re-usable ones and refill them with non-plastic treats each year.

Presents.


This is easy. I just don’t buy plastic presents. There are plenty of alternatives to buy, grow or make. I do find children a problem, though. For them, Christmas is filled with brightly-coloured plastic toys. I will buy books, clothes and experiences (how about panto tickets for the whole family), plus maybe a small, good quality plastic toy from a charity shop to fill the plastic ‘void’. I probably shouldn’t pander to them! A friend of mine once bought almost all her presents second hand, with just her brother, a headmaster, wanting a ‘proper’ present!

Decorations.

I won’t be throwing anything I’ve already got away just because it’s plastic. This should be zero waste as well as plastic-free. My alternatives for plastic decorations are:

Tree – Buy a real one. Those planted in tubs can last a couple of years.

Lights – Candles and tee-lights in jars (not recommended where there are children, pets or inebriated adults in the house)

Tinsel – greenery, or fabric or paper bunting, home-made or bought.

Tree decorations – Christmas markets are great for unusual, hand-made decorations, or you can make your own. Here I must recommend a book, “Rubbish Revamped” by Danielle Lowy. In it she shows how to make cards, decorations, packaging and small gifts using old cards, bits of wrapping paper, buttons and other scrapped materials.

Thank goodness wine comes in glass bottles!!



I’ve linked this post to Rosie’s Going Green Linky. Please head over and discover lots of blog posts for creating a green Christmas. You’ll find a tutorial for a lovely driftwood Christmas Tree, unusual Zero Waste gift ideas and even ways to scent your home over the Christmas season without the use of toxic chemicals!


My Plastic-free (well reduced, anyway) Christmas - ZERO WASTE WEEKZERO WASTE WEEK
.
.
.

No comments: