This evening, the head of the Sidmouth Plastics Warriors gave a presentation to the Town Council:
Futures Forum: Getting the backing of the town council for a plastic-free Sidmouth @ annual Town Assembly > Monday 9th April
Denise Bickley sought the town's support for formal accreditation for 'plastic free town' status:
Futures Forum: Sidmouth aiming for Plastic Free Coastline Accredited Town @ annual Town Assembly > Monday 9th April
This is the proposal which was presented:
Proposal to Sidmouth Town Council to support Sidmouth becoming a flagship Single Use Plastic Free Town
This request is for Sidmouth Town Council to support Sidmouth Plastic Warrior’s bid to apply for Sidmouth to become a Surfers Against Sewage Plastic Free Coastline Accredited Town.
This accreditation is achieved by meeting various criteria:
1. Getting support formally passed by the local town council.
2. Having at least 12 local businesses changes at least 3 single-use-plastic items for non-plastic alternatives. This can be achieved easily with the engagement of the Town Council and Chamber of Commerce.
3. Engaging with the community via social media, media, public meetings
4. Holding community events, supported by the council. We appreciate fully that Cllr McKenzie-Edwards actively participated in the recent March 10th clean up of the Beach, Ham and Town.
5. Holding at least an annual meeting of a steering committee – currently supported by Sidmouth Plastic Warriors, Vision Group for Sidmouth, Sidmouth in Bloom, Sidmouth Folk Festival, Sidmouth Chamber of Commerce.
We would also appreciate Sidmouth Town Council members making a pledge themselves to reduce their own single-use-plastic use, and encourage others they come into contact with, both in public and private life, to do the same. Repeating the refuse, reduce, reuse, refill, recycle ideals will encourage all to minimise their impact and to also think about how plastics have become so needlessly (on the whole) engrained in our lives. We would hope and encourage that the Council would abide by the same ideals in it’s day to day business wherever possible.
We would also like the Town Council to encourage anyone applying for festivals, events and tenders to be encouraged to submit details of their plans for minimising their footprint on the town, including merchandising sold.
With the support of the Council, we would be well on the way to applying for Plastic-Free-Coastline Status, which will be an asset to the tourism of the town. This can also only add in a positive way to Sidmouth In Bloom’s bid to become Champion of Champions in the RHS Britain in Bloom National Finals this year.
Chair, Sidmouth Plastic Warriors
Meeting of Sidmouth Town CouncilMonday 9 April 2018
And news just in after the end of the meeting:
"100% support for the Plastic Free Coastlines bid!!"
Sidmouth Plastic Warriors – Doing everything in our power to get Sidmouth single-use-plastic-free
Plastic Free Coastlines • Surfers Against Sewage