... A FORUM TO STIMULATE DEBATE ... ... JUST ADD A COMMENT AT ANY ENTRY BELOW... ... FOR THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF TOWN AND VALLEY ...

Saturday 14 January 2017

The Trials and Tribulations of running a small Devon farm

Local farmer Janet East has a regular column in the free monthly Devonshire magazine:
Janet East | Devonshire Magazine

She has a farm at Payhembury:
Honiton Bed and Breakfast in a Devon farmhouse -Yellingham Farm

And she is very active:

I talk to wonderful groups all over Devon and into neighbouring Counties, such as W.I’s, University of the 3rd Age (U3A), Probus Clubs and many more, my topic being the Trials and Tribulations of running a small rural farm and Bed and Breakfast – an amusing tale even though I say it myself.

But there is a serious message to my talk – the critical need to ensure the survival of small farms such as ours (only 45 acres), as they are so important to local communities, to agriculture itself, and to education.

When we first moved to Yellingham Farm there were 4 or 5 small farms like us – not any more. They are all slowly disappearing.


Mary… Oh My Goodness! | Devonshire Magazine

There are other writers at large:
FCR Esgen | Devonshire Magazine
Budleigh Living | Devonshire Magazine
.
.
.

No comments: